General education requirements were designed by the university with two principle purposes: building basic skills and developing broadened perspectives. This curriculum allows students to move among colleges within the university.
Building Basic Skills
- Written Communication (9 hours)
- Oral Communication (3 hours)
- Quantitative Reasoning (6-8 hours)
- Ethics (3 hours)*
*Ethics is specific to the Haslam College of Business
Developing Broadened Perspectives
- Natural Sciences (6-8 hours)
- Arts & Humanities (6 hours)
- Social Sciences (ECON 211 and 213 (6 hours))
- Cultures & Civilization (6 hours)**
**Foreign language requirement
- Credit hours vary depending on your major.
- For a list of courses that satisfy each of the following requirements, see the Haslam College of Business Student Handbook.